|Here's the latest press release from the newly inclusive and freshly tolerate Republican Party, issued by RNC Chairman Reince Priebus and his co-Chair Sharon Day:|
“Today we mark the beginning of Black History Month, a time to recognize the tremendous influence of African Americans in our culture, our politics, and our economy,” said Chairman Priebus. “We celebrate the artists and inventors, politicians and leaders who have shaped not only the African American community but the entire nation.
|Thank you, Party of Lincoln. It's a shame you left the building a long time ago, as Wikipedia nicely summarizes:|
African Americans had traditionally supported the Republican Party because of the anti-slavery agenda of Abraham Lincoln and successors such as Ulysses Grant. But they began supporting Democrats following the ascent of the Franklin Roosevelt administration, the New Deal, the integration of the military and embrace of proposed civil rights legislation by President Harry Truman in 1947-48, and the postwar Civil Rights movement.
|Since they're getting more and more desperate for votes, the rather unflattering history noted above doesn't lend itself well to the cause of attracting people back to their party, so a little sanitization is in order:|
“Over the years, African Americans have strengthened our party.”
|I sure hope they aren't referring to the strength of African-American support for the GOP, because the numbers tell a much different story:
There's alot of blue on those bars in the chart above, and since we know Republicans aren't color-blind, cough, when it comes to reading charts, that is, they probably see a deficiency in their traditional level of appreciation for the African-American community. And... Sure enough:
“But we also recognize that today far too many in the African American community haven’t heard from us about how the Republican Party’s ideals are right for their families” said Co-Chair Day. “In the coming months and years, we’re going to change that perception and make sure every American hears and understands our principles–our dedication to expanding real opportunity in the job market, in education, and in health care.”
|Maybe people have heard a little too much from the Republican Party. Not that Priebus or his friends could possibly have done anything to give themselves an image problem with minorities.
Wait... What about the dipshits responsible for the signs in this image? They're just a few “fringe” individuals, and surely can't be representative of the entire party, right?
As far as I'm concerned, they most certainly are. You won't find Democrats holding up garbage like that. And I certainly don't recall seeing Democrats tripping over themselves trying to convince large groups of voters they aren't the party they've proven themselves to be, time and again. Like Republicans are doing.
“As we honor black history this month, we also rededicate ourselves as a party to building better relationships in all communities–today and in the future.”
|Awesome. Because I wanna join a Republican party that has to “rededicate” themselves instead of a Democratic Party that's been there all along.
Meanwhile, we'll all be looking forward to the actions — not just placating press releases — that are sure to convince people Republicans aren't completely full of shit.
(My emphasis in quotes)
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
aitchdee, ybruti, jimstaro, dopper0189, NancyWH, Dave in Northridge, Youffraita, LSmith, stevie avebury, a2nite, 2thanks, nomandates, Linda1961, Pistoche, Dodgerdog1
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by DeadHead
- Still Life with Deciders and ...210 comments 44 Recs
- Headlines like this really say it all: Republicans push Barack Obama to rally Democrats for TPP vote Yes, the same Party whose economic philosophy led to the meltdown of the economy in 2007-2008 ...59 comments 106 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues - Weekend Edition" is a casual community diary (published Saturday & Sunday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography ...46 comments 25 Recs
- Instead of interviewing the Vermont Senator on his Sunday "Politics" show, instead of asking his Pundit Panel what they thought of the Sanders' Candidacy, Chuck Todd took it upon himself to single-...193 comments 163 Recs
- "You know, I, for the love of me, I cannot understand why people who have billions of dollars are compulsively driven for more and how many people have got to die because they don't go to a doctor,31 comments 48 Recs
- Republican shills for Big Carbon are launching a direct assault on NASA funding designed to gut any future enhancements to the Earth Sciences capabilities to monitor changing conditions on our ...31 comments 61 Recs
- Go to BernieSanders.com and give!9 comments 24 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.