On March 31st, a 21-year old American student and her companion, believed to be her boyfriend, boarded a mini-bus in, in Rio de Janeiro. Later, three men boarded the bus, handcuffed the victims, forced everyone else off, beat the male, then made him watch as they brutally beat and gang-raped the young woman. Six hours later, the victims were left in a small town 30 miles away. All three suspects have been arrested. A young Brazilian woman has also identified the same men as being her rapists, a week prior to this incident. Her case was slow to be investigated --until now.
This story sounds much too similar to the gang rape and murder of a young university student in New Delhi, India, last December. She and her male companion were on a bus, both beaten, she was gang-raped, then both left on the street to die. And she did - die.We only, occasionally, hear about rape crimes when they 'catch the news' and become high profile stories such as these, and that of the 16-year old girl who was gang-raped in Steubenville, Ohio, while unconscious.
In reality, rape occurs worldwide, every minute of every day to females of all ages, as well as young men and boys.
The public is outraged. That's good. That's a start. And a massive campaign called, Unite Against Rape, has been launched in the U.S., to support all rape victims/survivors, as well as to create discourse, worldwide, regarding this horrendous and brutal crime. Even better. It’s clear that education and awareness are needed in order to create solutions. For more information about the campaign: UniteWomen.org: https://www.facebook.com/...
If you've been raped or sexually assaulted, please seek help:
Call: National Sexual Assault Hotline - 1.800.656.HOPE
Other Facebook groups/organizations addressing the issues of sexual assault and rape along with women's rights, include:
Rape Victim Advocates: https://www.facebook.com/...
Rape Is Never Justified: https://www.facebook.com/...
Fight Laws Against Women: https://www.facebook.com/...
One Million Pissed Off Women: https://www.facebook.com/...
As a rape survivor, I stand with, Unite Against Rape, and all survivors of rape and sexual abuse.~Leslie Salzillo, Writer of this Daily Kos Dairy
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
WI Deadhead, entlord, concernedamerican, BlackSheep1, xxdr zombiexx, boji, the fan man, Preston S, bearian, tejanablue, Cassandra Waites, Randtntx, Oh Mary Oh, marleycat, MRA NY, BlueDragon, IndieGuy, Horace Boothroyd III, GoGoGoEverton, Dewstino, Laura Wnderer, LilithGardener, TheDuckManCometh
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Leslie Salzillo
- I had a request to do a diary about entertainers who served in the military. Turns out it wasn't as easy as I thought. This is in no way a comprehensive list. There were just too many to work with. ...630 comments 449 Recs
- I am 100% in for Bernie Sanders' campaign for the Democratic Party nomination, and for president. For the longest time, Bernie Sanders has represented my viewpoint on policy and my viewpoint on good ...261 comments 237 Recs
- I'm so outraged as I'm writing this that I'm going to have to be extra careful about typos, etc. Republicans in Congress have passed a bill that would make it perfectly legal for your boss to fire ...81 comments 181 Recs
- And just think, it's only April. Of 2015.73 comments 55 Recs
- A new app for your smartphone promises to change the very nature of police-citizen interaction. The ACLU of California has released the app , called Mobile Justice CA , which allows a citizen to ...21 comments 21 Recs
- Ho. Lee. Crap. Check out this press release from Florida Governor and Lord Voldemort impersonator Rick Scott:33 comments 50 Recs
- Last night, Sarah Palin made a convert out of me.851 comments 2295 Recs
- Really? Yup, plural on schools. From Tennessee's ABC affiliate wbay.com Michael Herrell is a concerned parent ...30 comments 21 Recs
- I’m not sure how it started, but the slogan “ We Are the 99% ” is doing something that Democrats have failed to do and Republicans have feared for decades. What is this? Take ...246 comments 682 Recs
- Imagine for a moment that a man's neck was almost severed, nearly clean cut in the most painful way possible, while in the custody of the people charged with the duty of protecting and serving. ...437 comments 412 Recs
Leslie Salzillo's Blogroll
- No current results.