- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is The path to tyranny - "First they came to register...":
- Missourian arrested at hospital for refusing to leave his gay partner:
A gay man was arrested at a hospital in Missouri this week when he refused to leave the bedside of his partner, and now a restraining order is preventing him from any type of visitation.
Roger Gorley told WDAF that even though he has power of attorney to handle his partner’s affairs, a family member asked him to leave when he visited Research Medical Center in Kansas City on Tuesday.
- Pathetic hater Dr. Ben Carson steps down as John-Hopkins commencement speaker:
Carson sent [medical school Dean Paul B.] Rothman a letter saying that he didn't want to "distract from the celebratory nature of the day."Carson had compared gays with pedophiles and people who have sex with animals on the Sean Hannity show on Fox News. He later made a word-salad nopology to Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC.
"Given all the national media surrounding my statements as to my belief in traditional marriage, I believe it would be in the best interest of the students for me to voluntarily withdraw as your commencement speaker this year," he wrote in the letter to Rothman, which the dean shared with the Hopkins community.
- You know what's awesome? When Rand Paul goes to an historically black college to tell black kids about how voting used to work for their ancestors. Wait. That's not Awesome at all! On the latest #TWiBRadio, Elon James White and crew break down the nonsense plus more.
- Washington Times sticks with "illegal immigrant" because it fits in headlines. The Times has chosen not to follow Associated Press style that recently dropped "illegal immigrant" in its stylebook after protests that it was pejorative. The Times editorialized:
All dispatch writers must henceforth engage in verbal gymnastics that might have been inspired by a George Orwell satire to avoid using the forbidden terminology. The AP insists that individuals should not be labeled, only their behavior. “Except in direct quotes essential to the story, use ‘illegal’ only to refer to an action, not a person: illegal immigration, but not illegal immigrant,” decrees the newly revised AP Stylebook. [...]
The AP style is, of course, only a suggestion. Newspapers are free to make AP dispatches conform to their own higher standards. But copy editors abiding by the edict face a daunting task of trying to fit “living in or immigrating to a country illegally” into a one-column headline.
- Final watered down climate change curriculum for kids unveiled:
If the Heartland Institute—known for its climate denial conferences and its billboards comparing climate-concerned citizens to mass murderers—thinks the standards are “balanced and fair,” watch out.
Yes, that wasp nest is more than seven meters long. Authorities cannot locate the owner of the abandoned house where the wasps have set up shop in San Sebastián de Gomera in Spain. Since local wasps do not typically build such large nests, they believe the builders may be an invasive species from further south.
- First privately owned state prison sucks, but Ohio doesn't care:
In an unprecedented experiment fueled by budget concerns, Ohio sold a state prison to Corrections Corporation of America, one of the largest private prison corporations in the country, in 2011. Within a year, a state audit of Lake Erie Correctional Institute, the nation’s first privately owned state prison, found rampant abuse and abysmal conditions well below state standards. The CCA prison was given another chance to pass, but flunked another inspection four months later. Independent reports continue to illuminate filthy, broken facilities, as well as much higher rates of crime and violence in and around the prison. On Tuesday, the ACLU of Ohio sent Ohio lawmakers a comprehensive timeline of the prison’s decline since CCA took over.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin, on hand for some of the rallying of public support up in Newtown, filled us in on the latest polling. CT-based gun makers are threatening to leave the state in reaction to new gun laws, though their leverage is questionable at best. A "hermit" living in the Maine woods is suspected of over 1,000 burglaries! Compare treatment of open carry of assault rifles versus taking video of cops. Guess who has the "weapon." The ACLU asks whether the IRS is reading your emails without a warrant. Finally, we wind up the NYT article "A Secret Deal on Drones, Sealed in Blood," inviting Armando to join the discussion.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- The interactive map above shows which party was leading just after 11 PM EST and ...69 comments 75 Recs
- California growers continue to expand their almond acreage in the state during the current drought while Governor Jerry Brown has mandated that urban families slash their water usage by 25 percent. ...16 comments 20 Recs
- I was a little surprised to find adult Golden Silk Orb Weaver Spiders during one of my walks this week. I don't usually start seeing them until the middle of May. I suspect the unusually warm April ...80 comments 33 Recs
- I wrote a long response to an article over at Slashdot about the ridiculously overblown fracking industry PR response to the recent discovery of an instance of fracking chemical contamination in ...8 comments 12 Recs
- Over the last decade, Pennsylvania has emerged as a powerhouse when it comes to drilling and pumping and making money off of natural gas— ...5 comments 9 Recs
- Let the smear tactics begin! Hopefully it will show the American people just what kind of scum conservatives and the GOP really are. Bernie Sanders, an independent and social democrat in the US ...47 comments 23 Recs
- Gas fracking has be estimated to release much more methane than previous gas industry claims. The worst offender for Methane releases in the US is probably the natural gas field in the Four Corners ...12 comments 29 Recs
- Hi guys, Bernie is live broadcasting a town hall event in Lanham, MD via the app Periscope right now. I can't figure out how to link the broadcast, but you can download Periscope from the App Store,7 comments 14 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12322)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24719)
- Community (90410)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55913)
- eKos (12437)
- Environment (45723)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14760)
- Jobs (12420)
- Labor (28308)
- Libya (4265)