How do we explain the obvious racism here? What would you do? No matter how much we'd like to believe we've come a long way with racial equality, many Americans are still thinking decades behind.
Racism comes from ignorance and fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear that someone you don't understand might hurt you, so you hurt them first. It exists today in extremes, with racial profiling by law enforcement made evident by the disproportionate incarceration of black men, or more commonly - the way a white woman alone on an elevator clutches her purse when a black man gets on, but not so much if a white man gets on. (if at all)(Scenes From The Story For Those Unable To View The Video)Sources: YouTube, Upworthy and 'What Would You Do'
Scene #1 shows a white teenager sawing, hammering and banging. People walk by, some look, some ask, but basically they go about their business letting the boy steal the bike.
Scene #2 shows a black teenager working on the same bike in the same way. Within minutes he is surrounded by a crowd with one man calling the police.
Scene #3 shows an attractive young blonde woman stealing the bike. In this scene, men actually stop and offer to help her commit the crime.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
whenwego, futurebird, pixxer, Ojibwa, ratcityreprobate, Horace Boothroyd III, jennyp, Alhambra, Another Grizzle
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Leslie Salzillo
- I had a request to do a diary about entertainers who served in the military. Turns out it wasn't as easy as I thought. This is in no way a comprehensive list. There were just too many to work with. ...630 comments 449 Recs
- I am 100% in for Bernie Sanders' campaign for the Democratic Party nomination, and for president. For the longest time, Bernie Sanders has represented my viewpoint on policy and my viewpoint on good ...263 comments 237 Recs
- I'm so outraged as I'm writing this that I'm going to have to be extra careful about typos, etc. Republicans in Congress have passed a bill that would make it perfectly legal for your boss to fire ...81 comments 181 Recs
- And just think, it's only April. Of 2015.73 comments 55 Recs
- A new app for your smartphone promises to change the very nature of police-citizen interaction. The ACLU of California has released the app , called Mobile Justice CA , which allows a citizen to ...21 comments 21 Recs
- Ho. Lee. Crap. Check out this press release from Florida Governor and Lord Voldemort impersonator Rick Scott:34 comments 50 Recs
- Last night, Sarah Palin made a convert out of me.851 comments 2295 Recs
- Really? Yup, plural on schools. From Tennessee's ABC affiliate wbay.com Michael Herrell is a concerned parent ...30 comments 21 Recs
- I’m not sure how it started, but the slogan “ We Are the 99% ” is doing something that Democrats have failed to do and Republicans have feared for decades. What is this? Take ...246 comments 682 Recs
- Imagine for a moment that a man's neck was almost severed, nearly clean cut in the most painful way possible, while in the custody of the people charged with the duty of protecting and serving. ...437 comments 412 Recs
Leslie Salzillo's Blogroll
- No current results.