You can sign Udall's petition here:This is great news: Thanks in part to support from folks like you, the U.S. Senate confirmed Gina McCarthy yesterday to lead the Environmental Protection Agency! I’m thrilled she’s been confirmed, and I look forward to working with her on behalf of Colorado.
Senate Republicans finally ended the gridlock and did the right thing. They allowed an up-or-down vote for a number of President Obama’s well-qualified nominees that had been waiting — some for years — to be appointed to their positions.
The confirmations that passed this week were a vital step forward for our country and for President Obama's administration, which needs to be fully staffed in order to carry out the policies that will help our middle class and small businesses. But we still need to confront the underlying problem that allowed the Republican minority to change the Senate’s job from "advise and consent" to obstruct and delay.
It’s time to reform the filibuster. Will you join Senators Mark Begich, Heidi Heitkamp, Jeanne Shaheen, Tom Udall, and me in calling for filibuster reform?The Senate also confirmed two other important executive appointments this week — Richard Cordray to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Tom Perez to the Department of Labor.
Finally getting an up-or-down vote on the nominees to these critical posts isn’t a victory for Democrats. It’s a victory for the middle class. We need strong leadership at the helm of the agencies charged with preserving our clean air and water, standing up for workers’ rights, and protecting consumers from fraud and unfair Wall Street practices.
These are important jobs, and the American people deserve a timely up-or-down vote on the President’s nominees to fill the posts. But in the current, scorched-earth political climate, who knows how long we’ll have to wait for the next time obstructionists decide to use legislative tricks to grind the people’s business to a halt?
Filibuster reform makes sense, and we need to get it done. If Republicans end this fragile truce, the Senate could be in store for even more obstruction and gridlock.
Let’s keep the pressure on:
Thanks for your support,
Received this e-mail today from Senator Mark Udall (D. CO) regarding filibuster reform:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- The law Republicans said would ...75 comments 84 Recs
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich signed ...46 comments 46 Recs
- Yummy! Mmmm, mmmm! Nothing like a nice, cold glass of chemicals to wet your whistle: An analysis of ...31 comments 27 Recs
- Over the last decade, Pennsylvania has emerged as a powerhouse when it comes to drilling and pumping and making money off of natural gas— ...8 comments 10 Recs
- Republican gubernatorial candidate James Comer The May 19 Kentucky GOP gubernatorial primary may be one for the books. Last week, we learned that a blogger named Michael Adams was accusing state ...29 comments 23 Recs
- With currently a staggering 829 votes ... Bernie Sanders is expected to win the nomination 61.52% to 38.48% . ** http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2015/04/30/bernie-sanders-will-challenge-...526 comments 163 Recs
- Republican Sen. John McCain PPP surveys both the GOP primary and general elections in Arizona, and let's just say ...64 comments 39 Recs
- The Labor Department ...4 comments 10 Recs
- Minority Leader Harry Reid is promising to give ol' ...25 comments 36 Recs
- Democratic Rep. Patrick Murphy (at left) On Monday, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee offered its endorsement to Rep. Patrick Murphy in Florida's open-seat ...57 comments 4 Recs
- No current results.