I can't imagine the emotional hardships they must have endured. It makes it that much more wonderful to see this young couple so happy, and so in love. Their story is different than most. Katie grew up in a boy's body, feeling like a girl. Arin grew up in a girl's body, feeling more like a boy. They met two years ago in a transgender support group in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and fell in love. Both decided to have elective surgery. Arin had chest surgery last month and is happy to go shirtless, and show it off his new chest.Katie said:"Being transgender myself, I understand Arin better than anybody else - how good he feels and how complete he feels."Growing up was not easy for the couple. Katie was bullied and abused which she says caused depression. At 15 she confided to her mother that she wante to become a girl.
Arin added:"I hated my breasts, I always felt like they didn't belong. "Now I finally feel comfortable in my own body. Now when I am out in a public pool or lifting weights, no one raises an eyebrow. They just think I'm a guy. ... I can wear a tank top, which I couldn't before, and I can go swimming shirtless. I can just be a regular guy. And I so lucky to have my family and Katie to rely on."Katie Hill's mother said: "Knowing what Katie went through for eight-plus years -- there's nothing worse than watching your child suffer. "It's still my baby -- male or female, she's still my child. And I don't have to kneel at her grave."Today, Arin 17, and Katie 19, are an inspiration, not only to transgender teens, and adults - they are an inspiration to us all. Through courage, support, love, and belief in their dreams, they were able to match the outside, with the essence and beauty they felt inside. I know I'm not alone in wishing them great joy. Writing this has made my heart sing.
Arin Andrew's mother had this to say:"Seeing Katie go through her surgery was helpful to Arin," she said,"It was being around it and seeing her getting to transform. And being a couple at the time was I think just the cherry on the cake. Every transgender person would love to have the transformation physically because it just completes them as a person."
For more about the lives and courtship of Arin and Katie,Mail Online has an extensive story with more photos.
Here is a bTV video:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Leslie Salzillo
- This week the Louisville Courier-Journal broke news that Marilyn Thomas, the college girlfriend of James Comer (Comer is Kentucky's Agriculture Commissioner and a Republican candidate for Governor)6 comments 2 Recs
- ...4 comments 3 Recs
- Daniel Chong left for 5 days, handcuffed, without food or water or toilet—in a holding cell The LA Times is reporting on Daniel Chong, a 23-year-old UC San Diego engineering student who was ...67 comments 168 Recs
- Everyone talks about this problem of Money in Politics . Some Candidates have been talking about it long before "it was kool." Bernie Sanders on What Money Does to Politics (with Video) on ...17 comments 52 Recs
- Reefer madness! The folks at D.A.R.E (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) fell for a fake news story about a shocking number of deaths and pregnancies from the devil weed. They ...27 comments 30 Recs
- I recently came upon evidence of some inappropriate use of his office by a Wisconsin politician. Nothing that would send him to jail or even disgrace him horribly (particularly in light of what we'...12 comments 5 Recs
- Welcome to the Tuesday edition of the Coffee Hour at Street Prophets. This is an open thread where we can discuss what’s happening in our lives, what we’ve been working on, and our opinions on ...5 comments 17 Recs
- (Some) white folks haven't changed in over 40 years.* (Image courtesy of The Center of the Study of Political Graphics. Cartoonist is possibly Emory Douglas, former Minister of Culture for the Black ...117 comments 86 Recs
Leslie Salzillo's Blogroll
- No current results.