Amidst all of the confusion and concern over an encryption algorithm that may contain an NSA backdoor, RSA Security released an advisory to developer customers today noting that the algorithm is the default in one of its toolkits and strongly advising them to stop using the algorithm.
The advisory provides developers with information about how to change the default to one of a number of other random number generator algorithms RSA supports and notes that RSA has also changed the default on its end in BSafe and in an RSA key management system.
The company is the first to go public with such an announcement in the wake of revelations by the New York Times that the NSA may have inserted an intentional weakness in the algorithm — known as Dual Elliptic Curve Deterministic Random Bit Generation (or Dual EC DRBG) — and then used its influence to get the algorithm added to a national standard issued by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
In its advisory, RSA said that all versions of RSA BSAFE Toolkits, including all versions of Crypto-C ME, Micro Edition Suite, Crypto-J, Cert-J, SSL-J, Crypto-C, Cert-C, SSL-C were affected.
[Story Continues Here]
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Andrew Lazarus, bink, stevemb, bmaples, Game Theory, 3rdOption, Mokurai, rja, slice, Mentatmark, River Rover
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by ShockandAwed
- As Pope Francis comes more and more out of the Progressive Closet he begins to gain more and more pushback from the Rightwing who have long claimed that their Unrepentant Greed was Godly. ...319 comments 606 Recs
- Of course when contributions are on the line the GOP is scared shitless...When leaving thousands of uninsured behind the GOP says meh.... Secret conversations are taking place in Florida between ...80 comments 109 Recs
- Officially an old man now. As I am gathering my stuff to leave the cardiac ward, Philitrina, my afternoon nurse, gives me one additional bit of advice: Do not ignore the warning about not lifting ...684 comments 1328 Recs
- The TPP document Wikileaks released today is dated Augut 30, 2013. Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) Today, 13 November 2013, WikiLeaks released the secret negotiated draft text ...12 comments 47 Recs
- Take that picture of the dead elephant down. You do yourself and the site a disservice by posting that revolting picture. In Zimbabwe at least 100 elephants were murdered by poisoning. Because of ...267 comments 400 Recs
- No amount of protest is going to stop the USA from joining in on the Trans-Pacific Parnership. It's a done deal, with a few details to work out. Here's what I found today. Today I found reference ...51 comments 26 Recs
- Awesome : Many restaurants in the DC area are offering "shutdown specials" to furloughed employees so long as government remains closed, but members of Congress ...69 comments 210 Recs
- Just another day in the land of the theoretically free . Incredible, but true, courtesy of TechDirt, Washington's Blog, University of Washington Law Professor Ryan Calo, and WABC-TV, New York; and, ...76 comments 68 Recs
- Yes, he said that. Not in those precise words, but he said it. You be the Judge: " The reason this debt limit fight is different is, we don't have an election around the corner where we feel we ...146 comments 520 Recs
- To the people in control of the Executive Branch, violating our civil liberties is an essential government service. So -- to ensure total fulfillment of Big Brother’s vast responsibilities -- the ...19 comments 24 Recs
- No current results.