It's COLD as ice here... and yet, when I talk to friends around the country, it appears we're having a heat wave! OK, that may be hyperbole, but bundle up and follow me below the dKosIceSculpture for some hot and cold music, after a word from our sponsor...
Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd & most informative commentary, and we depend on your help!! If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it either to topcomments at gmail or to the Top Comments group mailbox by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
As I sit down to begin writing, here's what the current temperature map tells me:
I was in a music mood today, so thought a set of songs involving hot and/or cold would be appropriate. Here's my set, please share yours in the comments!
Cold As Ice - Foreigner I am sure ice actually feels warmer than some regions of the midwest...I hope you're all keeping as warm as possible, checking on those around you to make sure they're ok, and taking care of the various fur-folk living with or near you.
(Love is Like a) Heat Wave - Martha and the Vandellas Covered here by Joan Osborne.
Funky Cold Medina - Tone Loc I had to run to wikipedia to find out what the hell that is and why it would be funky, but it's a great song to move around to (my kids scoff at what I do being in any way shape or form equivalent to 'dancing' :-))
Hot Hot Hot - Buster Poindexter Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam, I suppose...
Snow (Hey Oh) - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice What? It's got a catchy beat and will help thaw me out after being outside!
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
From cv lurking gf:We, the People* by raptavio expresses well how too many conservatives read the Constitution.
From LilithGardener:Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction, and funny as hell in peterfallow's snark diary. The subject and the links of the diary are actually a true story about an aspiring GOP candidate in the primary race for Governor of Tennessee.
This comment by campionrules responded in the very best tradition of Daily Kos' satire, compliment and rebuke all delivered via a creative and fully developed metaphor.
From blue aardvark:Visceral concisely describes the viscera of the modern GOP.
From Yours Truly, brillig:cactusgal makes a BRILLIANT catch in Jed Lewison's Scott Walker is very sad that unemployed losers refuse to get a job.
In Egberto Willies' Chris Hayes: If I Were Black I'd Be In Jail For Being Caught With Weed, Joe Buck's comment on playing the race card led to uniquity's reply. I'd like to highlight this: "I think it is incumbant on those of us who are white to make the race argument and tell our stories of white privilege."
Top Mojo for yesterday, January 6th, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic! For those of you interested in How Top Mojo Works, please see his diary FAQing Top Mojo.
1) Awesome letter. by the dogs sockpuppet — 122
2) And if his son had not had to go to the by sewaneepat — 106
3) What about algebra? by Roadbed Guy — 101
4) I hope she's the beginning of another Seattle by ontheleftcoast — 96
5) All she had to do by Steveningen — 90
6) Wow, that response could have been a DKos diary by chicago minx — 84
7) The Quitter from Wyoming? by ontheleftcoast — 76
8) This always happens when you run out of toner by Ender — 74
9) If you look at the map of Catholics by county... by Shockwave — 74
10) This is a beautiful thing. by raptavio — 73
11) Whoâ„¢? n/t by JeffW — 70
12) Algebra is an Arabic word.. by ericy — 63
13) Bargaining with teabaggers is a fool's errand by Dallasdoc — 60
14) hai by Debbie in ME — 59
15) A reply to a comment of mine in a diary about this by ontheleftcoast — 58
16) Food for thought by milkbone — 57
17) I did a quick peek at books the publish and found by ontheleftcoast — 57
18) Sadly and typically by cosmic debris — 57
19) Luntz is lying.He's agonying all the way to bank. by Inland — 55
20) Fer example, yu haz teh right to recline... by Horsefeathers — 55
21) Fanks for the reminder about taking care of our by jan4insight — 55
22) Not if yu know yor hostage rights! by Horsefeathers — 54
23) iirc Luntz turned estate tax by Lying eyes — 54
24) Happee Snowdai! by arizonablue — 54
25) I think she lacks the charisma of her Father by yet another liberal — 53
26) Darth Jr. and her carpetbag will be back by Jeff Y — 53
27) Fortunately by pat of butter in a sea of grits — 53
28) Playing with the Flickr account: by koosah — 52
29) Yes by TLS66 — 52
30) People who can do algebra don't believe by blue aardvark — 51
31) Great action diary by Senor Unoball — 51
Top Pictures for yesterday, January 6th. Click any image to be taken to the full comment. Thank you jotter for the image magic!