Click here to add your name:I’m a proud combat veteran of the Iraq War, having served two tours of duty and receiving three awards for meritorious service. But because of the faulty Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy, I was kicked out of the military, simply for being gay.
Even though the policy was repealed three years ago, thousands of veterans like me still bear the scars of this discrimination, with dishonorable or less than honorable discharges staining our military records and marks on our records that compromise our right to privacy.
Help right the wrongs of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. Sign on as a Citizen Co-Sponsor of Senator Brian Schatz’s Restore Honor to Service Members Act.
Many of the 114,000 brave men and women wrongly discharged from the armed services since World War II because of who they love are barred from receiving the benefits they earned. In the worst cases, some are even legally prevented from calling themselves a veteran.
This is an affront to the people who put their own self-interest aside to serve our country. The time to end this disgrace is now.
Ending Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell was a proud moment for gay veterans like me, but too many veterans still are treated unequally and are not receiving the correct honor they deserve. After decades of institutionalized discrimination, It’s time to finish righting those wrongs.
This legislation to make sure my service is honored means so much to me and other current or former service members and our families. It’s one of the many reasons that I’m proud to say that Brian Schatz is my U.S. Senator.
Join Senator Schatz as a Citizen Co-Sponsor of his Restore Honor to Service Members Act!
Mahalo for your support,
Equality Hawaii Board of Directors member
Received this e-mail today from Senator Brian Schatz's (D. HI) campaign:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Treatment over incarceration? Yes. Massachusetts has been fighting a growing wave of ...20 comments 66 Recs
- Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) is one of the more endangered Republicans up for re-election in 2016, which might have something to do with the fact that he'...4 comments 9 Recs
- I know that you’re well aware of the historic obstruction we’ve seen from the GOP on issues ranging from the budget to President Obama’s ability to negotiate treaties to an increase in the ...2 comments 9 Recs
- Let us open an account for you, or ten.47 comments 128 Recs
- Still not onboard with fast-tracking the Trans-Pacific Partnership Under the rubric of "prioritize jobs" Democratic Sens. Tammy Baldwin (WI), Sherrod Brown (OH), Al Franken (MN), ...28 comments 78 Recs
- No current results.