- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Obamacare 101 with Professor P:
- March marked the first month in more than a decade without a U.S. combat death:
While this marks a low point in deaths among American soldiers, the same cannot be said of the coalition forces fighting alongside the U.S.—two allied soldiers died over the course of the month. It also doesn’t mean that the situation in the two countries the United States has fought wars in over the last country are also free from strife. As NATO forces prepare to withdraw combat troops at the end of the year, violence in Afghanistan is currently threatening the ability of observers to verify its pending election. And in Iraq, 16 civilians died in an attack just this weekend.
- Colorado town is voting today on shooting down drones.
- OkCupid blocks Firefox over CEO's opposition to marriage equality. Mozilla's new CEO Brendan Eich contributed $1,000 to the Proposition 8 campaign in 2008:
The site, which gets 10 million unique visitors a month, is currently greeting all Firefox users with a note explaining why OkCupid's owners feel Eich is "an opponent of equal rights for gay couples." [...]
OkCupid's roadblock for Firefox users doesn't stop them from visiting the site entirely. Clicking "Continue to OkCupid" at the bottom of the lengthy note about Eich will allow access, but "we urge you to consider different software for accessing OkCupid."
- Annotated unskewobamacare.com.
- No joke. The internet is killing most languages:
According to a paper titled “Digital Language Death,” just published in PLOS One, less than five percent of the 7,000 languages spoken today will ascend to the digital realm. Granted, languages have been dying as long as they’ve been spoken, but the Endangered Languages Project reports that “the pace at which languages are disappearing today has no precedent and is alarming.” András Kornai, author of the new paper, blames the internet for why we’re more likely to be speaking French than, say, Mandinka, in the future.
The means and speed of language death might be new, but the pattern is old. According to the UNESCO page on endangered languages, “a language disappears when its speakers disappear or when they shift to speaking another language—most often, a larger language used by a more powerful group. Languages are threatened by external forces such as military, economic, religious, cultural or educational subjugation, or by internal forces such as a community’s negative attitude towards its own language.” Both of these forces, Kornai argues, are exacerbated by the internet.
- Check out the dimple machines and other wacky inventions.
- Jay Inslee may be the greenest governor in America, or would be if ...... he could count on the legislature to back him up. But two turncoat Democrats make that difficult.
[I]f Washington acts strongly on climate, the impact will extend far beyond Washington. For the state will be strengthening and reinforcing what California and British Columbia have already done, and the more these Pacific coast states are unified, the more the United States and even the world will have to take notice. "The sense is that if the west coast as a bloc acts, if we've got real climate policy from BC to Baja, that's the world's fifth largest economy," says Kelly of the Washington Environmental Council.
In the meantime, though, Inslee's position within his state is much like that of President Barack Obama nationally, observes David Roberts of Grist magazine. "He wants to act, but he's got no Republicans in the legislature on his side," says Roberts, "so if he gets anything done, it's going to be through executive powers."
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: Hobby Lobby's full of it! Greg Dworkin rounds up Day 1 of BenghaziCare. CIA misled on torture, Bush used it to try to "prove" Iraq-AQ connections & Cheney says he'd do it all again. Rigged markets, rigged unionization votes & more.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
JVolvo, Dave in Northridge, JeffW, J M F, LinSea, renzo capetti, Lady Libertine, annieli, Eric Nelson, belinda ridgewood, YellowDogInGA
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- "The time will come when our silence will be more powerful than the voices you strangle today." — August Spies, one of eight men convicted of the Haymarket Square bombing, moments before he was ...5 comments 5 Recs
- Can community policing be implemented without becoming warlordism a.k.a. an independent MoFo Po-Po. Rather than the Black Panthers, community self-defense may have to take more unusual ...10 comments 3 Recs
- It must be an interesting conversation to behold between the president and his people who are desperately trying to figure out how to prop up this piece of crap called the Trans Pacific Partnership. ...17 comments 20 Recs
- The May 19 GOP primary has turned incredibly ugly especially in the past few days. On Monday night, a woman who said she used to date state Agriculture Commissioner James Comer back in college ...4 comments 3 Recs
- Sometimes the left hand just doesn't know what the right ...17 comments 31 Recs
- Fight dumbassery everywhere you see it. We've been way too tolerant.275 comments 219 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...62 comments 48 Recs
- Missouri Republicans Are Waging a War Against the Poor, And They Are Winning As Veto Override Occurs36 comments 64 Recs
- The interactive map above shows which party was leading just after 11 PM EST and ...140 comments 156 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12323)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24730)
- Community (90438)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55929)
- eKos (12437)
- Environment (45751)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14780)
- Jobs (12421)
- Labor (28323)
- Libya (4265)