Click here to add your name:
For the last 10 months I have been traveling across South Dakota talking to people in their kitchens, cafes, living rooms, and businesses about taking our country back from the billionaires. It's a message I intend to take to the halls of the United States Senate.
Yesterday's Supreme Court ruling in the McCutcheon case makes this more urgent than ever. They just eliminated one of the last limits on billionaires' ability to buy our elections. It's Citizens United on steroids.
This ruling is a tipping point for our democracy. If we don't stop them, billionaires will use their wealth to block our efforts to revive the American dream. Now is the time to fight back.
We have a plan to undo this ruling and restore people power to elections. I'm proud to join Democracy for America and a coalition of progressive organizations in the fight to take back our democracy by supporting the recently introduced Government By The People Act.
This bill will help reverse the impact of both the McCutcheon and Citizens United rulings, and will end the legalized bribery that undermines the democratic process.
The Government By The People Act is already sponsored by over 130 Representatives. We can force the rest of Congress to support this bill by showing massive public outrage over today's horrible court decision.
Click here to join me and DFA in telling Congress to reverse McCutcheon and Citizens United by passing the Government By The People Act.
This is not how our government is supposed to work. Billionaires are not supposed to pick election winners -- the people are. How can anyone say unlimited campaign contributions don't influence elected officials? Have you seen presidential candidates beating down your door and asking for your support? Then again, you and I don't have a billion dollars to buy a politician.
One of the main reasons DFA endorsed my campaign for Senate is my commitment to get big money out of politics. If I'm elected to the Senate, I will support the Government By The People Act. But I will go further.
On the back of my business card is the text of a constitutional amendment that would overturn both Citizens United and McCutcheon and bring sanity back to our campaigns. It is straightforward: "So that the votes of all, rather than the wealth of the few, shall direct the course of this Republic, Congress shall have the power to limit the raising and spending of money with respect to federal elections..."
The Government By The People Act is the first step. Join me and DFA in telling Congress to reverse McCutcheon and Citizens United and pass this bill now.
Thank you for standing with me and DFA to take our democracy back from billionaires.
Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate, South Dakota
Received this e-mail today from U.S. Senate candidate Rick Weiland (D. SD) and Democracy For America:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
scribeboy, cotterperson, jancw, Gowrie Gal, gpoutney, doingbusinessas, slakn1, gfv6800, JamieG from Md, Greenfinches, pierre9045, BMScott
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Indiana Republican Gov. Mike Pence On Thursday, former state House Speaker and 2012 Democratic nominee John Gregg announced that he would seek a rematch with Republican Gov. Mike ...23 comments 33 Recs
- [UPDATE] Thanks @HillaryClinton . Looking forward to debating the big issues: income inequality, climate change & getting big money out of politics. — Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) April 30, ...374 comments 277 Recs
- Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) ...77 comments 46 Recs
- Former Baltimore Mayor and Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley has been getting slammed in the media and by some here for what happened to Freddie Gray and for the Baltimore riots. His critics say ...130 comments 129 Recs
- Elise Stefanik On Tuesday, the DCCC launched a goofy little website targeting vulnerable House GOP freshmen, pairing them with pop songs from ostensible one-hit wonders (these guys are "one-term ...33 comments 15 Recs
- 356 comments 449 Recs
- Freddie Gray was killed by Baltimore's police. Baltimore's ghetto youthocracy responded with protests and an exhalation of random street violence. The killing of Freddie Gray, an unarmed black man ...222 comments 206 Recs
- Senator Bernie Sanders is running for President. From Vermont Public Radio : VPR News has learned from several sources that independent U.S. Sen. Bernie ...815 comments 536 Recs
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ...15 comments 7 Recs
- How stupid is the right-wing media? Stupid enough ...45 comments 55 Recs
- No current results.