I have seen much too much of people blaming the current situation in Iraq on:
- the British - for their past imperialism,
- the French - also for their past imperialism,
- the Iraqi PM - he's passed up all these imaginary opportunities to form an inclusive government to govern his fucked over country,
- the Iraqi military - we gave them all these expensive toys and training so that they could defend their fucked over country and then they just run away, and
- the Iraqi people - after being so thoroughly fucked over these ingrates just can't get along with each other.
There are really only two who deserve almost all of the blame:
1) The US for fucking Iraq up one side and down the other,
- killing hundreds of thousands,
- making just staying alive the main objective of most of the people of Iraq,
- destroying vast amounts of the country's infrastructure,
- imposing a constitution and governmental system on the country, and
- not allowing the country to have control of its own resources and economy.
2) Those who support the ISIS and those who allow the ISIS to be supported.