Click here to add your name:The US Senate recently passed legislation that would ban employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity - the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
But this bill does not go nearly far enough in protecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender people. Limiting the measure to employment alone completely disregards the widespread discrimination faced by this community in housing, credit, education, and other spheres of public life.
Join me in calling for a national non-discrimination law that addresses ALL discrimination against this population. Click here to add your name now.
The Maine Human Rights Act, which Shenna advocated for, is one of the strongest anti-discrimination laws in the country. We need a federal counterpart for that law which will protect Americans from discrimination across the board.
Sign this petition now to show that you support strong legislation that prohibits discrimination against the LGBT community in every sector of public life.Republican Susan Collins supports the "religious exemption" that is included in the Senate's non-discrimination bill. This exemption leaves the door wide open for discrimination against the LGBT community for virtually any reason. We cannot afford to think that such half measures and exemption-laden bills are sufficient protection of Americans' rights. That's why we need broader legislation that truly addresses the issue at heart and leaves no room for discrimination.
Thank you for standing up for all Americans.
Deputy Campaign Manager
Bellows for Senate
P.S. Too often, our lawmakers settle for legislation that only goes part of the way towards equality. Americans cannot afford compromise when it comes to our civil rights. Add your name now to call for a full equality law that goes 100% of the way.
Received this e-mail today from Shenna Bellows' (D. ME) U.S. Senate campaign:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Odysseus, AdmiralNaismith, Illegitimi non carborundum, blueoasis, slakn1, elwior, RandomNonviolence, commonmass, FogCityJohn, annieli, tardis10, Eric Nelson, JGibson, emorej a Hong Kong, librarisingnsf, BMScott, HardBallMike
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- The law Republicans said would ...66 comments 84 Recs
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich signed ...46 comments 46 Recs
- Yummy! Mmmm, mmmm! Nothing like a nice, cold glass of chemicals to wet your whistle: An analysis of ...31 comments 27 Recs
- Over the last decade, Pennsylvania has emerged as a powerhouse when it comes to drilling and pumping and making money off of natural gas— ...6 comments 10 Recs
- Republican gubernatorial candidate James Comer The May 19 Kentucky GOP gubernatorial primary may be one for the books. Last week, we learned that a blogger named Michael Adams was accusing state ...29 comments 22 Recs
- With currently a staggering 829 votes ... Bernie Sanders is expected to win the nomination 61.52% to 38.48% . ** http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2015/04/30/bernie-sanders-will-challenge-...524 comments 163 Recs
- Republican Sen. John McCain PPP surveys both the GOP primary and general elections in Arizona, and let's just say ...64 comments 39 Recs
- The Labor Department ...4 comments 10 Recs
- Minority Leader Harry Reid is promising to give ol' ...25 comments 36 Recs
- Democratic Rep. Patrick Murphy (at left) On Monday, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee offered its endorsement to Rep. Patrick Murphy in Florida's open-seat ...57 comments 4 Recs
- No current results.