Are we approaching the end of the nation state as the universal desired status? I see the Middle East as not being a good fit for the nation state. It seems the religion of the overlords is very important. Thus the Ottomans may have been viewed as oppressive, but not illegitimate. The USA does not truly realize how much we inherited the role of the British in relation to empire. We are seen as the inheritors and beneficiaries of Sykes/Picot even tho we ( Americans) were not in room at the time. There is little we can do because of the legacy of the British. What will evolve is unclear, but something not a nation state is one possiblity
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by cuddytom
- A lot of people seem to like the fact that a true Progressive is running for president. Personally I think that it is a wonderful thing. Bernie has to hear from you and have facts and figures to ...7 comments 20 Recs
- What about this gas tank's rights???? Because it wouldn't be the Lone Star State if there weren't oil and natural gas dripping from the ...25 comments 29 Recs
- A week after posting a diary about a bunch of backwards bullies organizing an "Anti-Gay" day in a PA high school, I come across this story out of Desert Oasis High School in Las Vegas, NV. It's ...3 comments 7 Recs
- Just take it easy Four Swedish police officers, riding on New York City's 6 train, had to go back to work briefly, in order to subdue two ...325 comments 274 Recs
- Ervin Edwards, arrested for sagging pants, dead in his cell after being Tasered to death On November 26, 2013, 38-year-old Ervin Edwards, partially deaf and mentally ill,344 comments 272 Recs
- A couple of ladies were chatting near my cash register the other day after their lunch, as one admired the other's wallet. "Oh, it was only five hundred dollars," she said to her friend. "I wish I'd ...513 comments 534 Recs
- An Arkansas woman says she was fired because she was quoted in the Washington Post saying she was ...182 comments 266 Recs
- As the New York Times reported today , a scandal is beginning to erupt at the DEA regarding the after hours lives of its agents, bearing striking parallels to the prostitution scandal at the Secret ...4 comments 12 Recs
- Did this guy get his law degree from Liberty University? That would explain it. Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt vows to fight for the right to ...37 comments 42 Recs
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie made an appearance on ...126 comments 70 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.