Click here to add your name:A political strategist said recently that the Supreme Court’s Hobby Lobby decision doesn’t translate up here in Alaska because there aren’t any single, Alaska women.
Well, my name is Mara Hill. I live in Anchorage, Alaska. And I’m writing today to tell you how the Supreme Court’s recent Hobby Lobby decision affects my life.
Contraceptive care isn’t just about birth control. It’s a widely accepted treatment for a number of medical conditions, and every doctor knows that. There’s a reason why we let doctors make medical decisions -- and a reason why your boss doesn’t have “M.D.” after his name.
When it comes to men’s health care, we respect the privacy between a man and his doctor. But Hobby Lobby means that employers no longer need to respect the privacy between a woman and her doctor.That’s more than unfair -- that’s a violation of the principle of equal treatment under the law. I’m proud that Senator Mark Begich has spoken out against Hobby Lobby, and I hope you will too by signing this petition.
Right now I’m lucky enough not to worry about my boss prying into my health care decisions, but it shouldn’t be about luck. And as I’m starting my career I shouldn’t have to consider whether or not my boss will interfere with my access to health care when taking a job.
That’s why Hobby Lobby matters to me -- why it should matter to all women, and to all men who care about women’s rights. The fight to access doctor-prescribed birth control was a long one, and it seemed to be settled back in the 1960s. But the Supreme Court has undone that progress.
We still have work to do. And make no mistake -- Alaska women don’t leave a job unfinished.
Thanks for your time,
Received this e-mail today from Senator Mark Begich's (D. AK) campaign:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Redfire, deepeco, jedennis, papahaha, Susan Grigsby, Polly Syllabic, zukesgirl64, akmk, jacey, ahumbleopinion, howabout, BMScott, AKBear
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Indiana Republican Gov. Mike Pence On Thursday, former state House Speaker and 2012 Democratic nominee John Gregg announced that he would seek a rematch with Republican Gov. Mike ...23 comments 33 Recs
- [UPDATE] Thanks @HillaryClinton . Looking forward to debating the big issues: income inequality, climate change & getting big money out of politics. — Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) April 30, ...375 comments 277 Recs
- Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) ...77 comments 46 Recs
- Former Baltimore Mayor and Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley has been getting slammed in the media and by some here for what happened to Freddie Gray and for the Baltimore riots. His critics say ...130 comments 129 Recs
- Elise Stefanik On Tuesday, the DCCC launched a goofy little website targeting vulnerable House GOP freshmen, pairing them with pop songs from ostensible one-hit wonders (these guys are "one-term ...33 comments 15 Recs
- 356 comments 449 Recs
- Freddie Gray was killed by Baltimore's police. Baltimore's ghetto youthocracy responded with protests and an exhalation of random street violence. The killing of Freddie Gray, an unarmed black man ...222 comments 207 Recs
- Senator Bernie Sanders is running for President. From Vermont Public Radio : VPR News has learned from several sources that independent U.S. Sen. Bernie ...815 comments 536 Recs
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ...15 comments 7 Recs
- How stupid is the right-wing media? Stupid enough ...45 comments 55 Recs
- No current results.