DK Quilt Guild: A place for quilters to gather, share ideas, projects, and to make the world a better place, one quilt at a time. Join us and share your thoughts, projects, questions, and tips. Quilters here are at many different levels of skill. Beginners and non-quilters are welcome, too!We’re all familiar with them – the pancake breakfasts, the spaghetti suppers, the bake sales where inexpensive ingredients and many volunteers wanting to help combine to raise funds for a school, for someone’s medical expenses, for medical research, etc.
Quilters have long done the same, combining their talents and the contents of their scrap bags to make and sell quilts to raise funds for a cause. In 2012, the Nebraska History Museum’s exhibit “Quilting for a Cause” explored this fund raising tradition. You can read more about this exhibit in this article and photo gallery.
The DK Quilt Guild has honored this tradition by making what in my part of the country are called “Opportunity Quilts.” Last year it was for Netroots for the Troops (NFTT). This year, in addition to two NFTT quilts, we chose to also make a quilt for Okiciyap. Why have I been drawn to support Okiciyap? For me, I think it’s because I love to cook and especially to bake and to share the food with others. Supporting Okiciyap and its food bank seems an extension of this. You can learn more about Okiciyap by reading the diaries published by the Okiciyap (we help) group.
Here is the result of the combined efforts of the DK Quilt Guild:
In her diary Aji wrote of the symbolism she saw in each block, and asked that the maker of each block explain what they saw in their block.
If you would like to bid on this quilt, the rules are as follows. Good luck.
OKICIYAP QUILT AUCTION RULES 2013
1) Auction begins on Wednesday, March 27th. Bids will first be accepted in the diary published that day by GreyHawk. The final day of the auction is Sunday, April 7, 2013, at approximately 7:00 p.m. CT. The last two+ hours of the auction will be held online from 5:00 p.m. central until 7 p.m. central in the DKQG diary. If no higher bids are posted by 7:10 p.m. the best bid before 7:00 p.m. central will be declared the winner.
1.1)The auction will end as soon as no higher bids are posted within 10 minutes of the highest bid received. Final bids will be decided by the time posted on the message. The decision of the judges on winning bid is final.
1.2)After the final bid is decided and the successful bidder notified, the donation to the pantry will be made, and once confirmed, BeadLady will send the quilt to the lucky winner! The pantry is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, this donation can be tax deductable.
2) Bids will be accepted by making comments in diaries, as well as by kosmailing weck and/or glorificus at any time to make arrangements for anonymous or absentee bidding.
2.1) If you wish to remain anonymous, you may set that up with weck or glorificus in advance, and we will use a number when we post your bids in a diary. (example = Anon-02)
2.2) If you want to leave an absentee bid, you may do that with either weck or glorificus. We will need to know the highest amount you are willing to bid and we will place those bids for you in 10 dollar increments as the bidding progresses throughout the auction. If the bidding goes higher than you first authorized, you may contact the same person again with a new top limit, or bid in the diaries. Absentee bids should be
placed with weck or glorificus as far in advance as possible.
3) Bidding by groups or organizations is allowed, as long as only one contact name is used. Please let us know the details of your group or organization and who is the official spokesperson for the group or organization.
4) Bidding is in minimum increments of $10.00. You may bid in higher increments that can be divided evenly by $10.00.
4.1) Bids must be in U.S. funds.
5) weck and glorificus will do their best to inform all bidders of the newest high bid. To receive this information in you Kosmail box, please ask weck or glorificus to join Daily Kos Quilt Guild Auction Alliance group.
5.1) We will send groupmail to everyone (Each member will be made an editor for the duration of the auction) Reminder: A groupmail won't show up on your main page; you will have to check for messages manually.
6) A PayPal link will be included for other donations to Okiciyap. While we cherish the thought that you may choose to donate to Okiciyap during the auction, there is no advantage in the auction to doing that. It is not necessary to donate through the PayPal to Okiciyap to bid in the auction. To use the paypal link, click on the link that goes to the Okiciyap Pantry's new website. http://okiciyap.weebly.com/....
7) The winning bidder can make payment arrangements that are not through PayPal with weck or glorificus. We know that some folks don't use PayPal.
8) The winning bidder will have 48 hours to confirm their success. After 48 hours, the judges may, at their discretion, offer the second highest bidder the opportunity to redeem the quilt. The decision of the judges is final.