- Today's comic by Matt Bors is Iraq War Ten Years Later:
- White House petition would require Congresspeople to wear NASCAR style cover-alls with logos of their financial backers: This isn't the first time somebody has suggested it, but it is the first time somebody has petitioned to have it done. The petition begins:
Since most politicians' campaigns are largely funded by wealthy companies and individuals, it would give voters a better sense of who the candidate they are voting for is actually representing if the company's logo, or individual's name, was prominently displayed upon the candidate's clothing at all public appearances and campaign events.
- Iraq war veteran says he's "ready to go":Paralyzed by a sniper's bullet less than a week after he go to Iraq, Tomas Young has spent the last nine years watching his body deteriorate. He has chosen to end his life by stopping eating.
- Former S.C. GOP director Kincannon shows his support for the troops:
Kincannon is, of course, a well-known weasel. But WTF with those 38 retweeters?
- Arizona's show-us-your-papers law no home run for Latinos in spring training:
"My brother just came in from the Dominican," says Ubaldo Jimenez, a pitcher with the Indians. "The first thing I told him was, 'You have to carry your passport. You don't want to end up in jail.'"
"Before, you didn't take your passport with you," says Yorvit Torrealba, a Venezuelan catcher with the Rockies. "You didn't need to. But now, everybody is so panicky about this thing that you take it everywhere." [...]
"Nobody's going to go around stopping them at a restaurant, asking for their ID," [Sheriff Joe] Arpaio says.
He pauses and adds, "Unless there's some other reason to do that."
- Tennessee legislators thought mop sink was for Muslim foot-washing:
Building managers and legislative staffers have sought to reassure some concerned Tennessee lawmakers that recent renovations at the state Capitol did not install special facilities for Muslims to wash their feet before praying.[...]
Legislative Administration Director Connie Ridley wrote in an email. “It is, in layman’s terms, a mop sink.”
Republican Sen. Bill Ketron, R-Murfreesboro, confirmed that he had spoken to [Senate Clerk Russell] Humphrey about whether there were religious reasons for the new sink after the issue was raised by Rep. Judd Matheny, R-Tullahoma.
- Ten years ago the B-52s were banned from MTV:
In the memo, Mark Sunderland, one of the department's managers, recommends that music videos depicting ''war, soldiers, war planes, bombs, missiles, riots and social unrest, executions'' and ''other obviously sensitive material'' not be shown on MTV in Britain and elsewhere in Europe until further notice.
The memo cites explicit examples. These include videos that relate directly to the war in Iraq, like ''Boom!'' by System of a Down; videos with bombs exploding, like Billy Idol's ''Hot in the City''; videos with war scenes, like Radiohead's ''Lucky''; and even Aerosmith's ''Don't Want to Miss a Thing,'' which has scenes from the action movie ''Armageddon.''
- Gun store owner won't sell AR-15 to Mark Kelly after all: The former astronaut and husband of former Arizona Rep. Gabby Giffords purchased the semi-automatic military-style assault weapon to show how easy it is. But the gun-store owner now says he won't complete the buy when Kelly returns to fill out the paperwork and undergo the federal background check because Kelly plans to turn the $1,295 firearm over the Tucson police:
The rifle will instead be raffled off to benefit the Arizona Tactical Officers Association, and the store will donate the cost of the rifle — $1,295 — to the Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program, an NRA effort to teach young children gun safety.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin and Armando help round out discussion of the political and legal context for the SCOTUS's marriage equality cases. Sally Kohn's Salon piece makes another key point: is it fair to elevate marriage above other familial relationships? Is it even good strategy? Also discussed: the Battle of Blair Mtn. as one of "The 5 Shadiest Crimes Ever Pulled Off by Famous Corporations," and; a fascinating and well-lawyered immigration case that highlights the value of some of President Obama's small steps toward meaningful reform.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, figbash, raincrow, wintergreen8694, Mathazar, DeadHead, BusyinCA, etherealfire, David Michigan, LaraJones
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- The interactive map above shows which party was leading just after 11 PM EST and ...71 comments 85 Recs
- California growers continue to expand their almond acreage in the state during the current drought while Governor Jerry Brown has mandated that urban families slash their water usage by 25 percent. ...16 comments 20 Recs
- I was a little surprised to find adult Golden Silk Orb Weaver Spiders during one of my walks this week. I don't usually start seeing them until the middle of May. I suspect the unusually warm April ...80 comments 33 Recs
- I wrote a long response to an article over at Slashdot about the ridiculously overblown fracking industry PR response to the recent discovery of an instance of fracking chemical contamination in ...8 comments 13 Recs
- Over the last decade, Pennsylvania has emerged as a powerhouse when it comes to drilling and pumping and making money off of natural gas— ...5 comments 9 Recs
- Let the smear tactics begin! Hopefully it will show the American people just what kind of scum conservatives and the GOP really are. Bernie Sanders, an independent and social democrat in the US ...51 comments 25 Recs
- Gas fracking has be estimated to release much more methane than previous gas industry claims. The worst offender for Methane releases in the US is probably the natural gas field in the Four Corners ...12 comments 29 Recs
- Hi guys, Bernie is live broadcasting a town hall event in Lanham, MD via the app Periscope right now. I can't figure out how to link the broadcast, but you can download Periscope from the App Store,7 comments 14 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12322)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24719)
- Community (90410)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55913)
- eKos (12437)
- Environment (45724)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14760)
- Jobs (12420)
- Labor (28308)
- Libya (4265)